Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It's a Small, Small World

This weekend was Owen's first time at church and he did FABULOUSLY! It was our global impact Sunday.


Last year it was this service that sealed my fate with the mission trip to Africa. It's amazing how so much can change in a year. This year, listening to the service I began to tear up -- what's new, right? J leaned over and whispered that he knew I'd go to Africa one year, he just knew it. I looked at him, tears spilling down my cheeks and explained that although in June when I made the decision to go I was upset about it, my heart had changed yet again and my tears were for other reasons.

One of my favorite songs has a line that goes, "Break my heart for what breaks Yours." I've always had a heart for animal rights/safety and for adoption but becoming a mother has changed my heart again.

How blessed am I that we have health insurance? That we live in the US where we have safe and clean water? That I have heat for my home? That I have plenty of blankets and clothing for my child? That I have plenty of safe and clean fruits and vegetables to eat so that my milk will be the best for my son?


My heart breaks for the mothers who don't have those luxuries. Can you imagine that? Something as simple as no water or blankets to take care of your child's basic needs? No basic nutrition? My heart just aches for the mothers that want to have these things but simply because of the location or circumstance of where they live. How am I so lucky? So blessed?

For Christmas last year, J and I donated a newborn package through World Vision. I know that I can't do a lot but I know it meant a lot to that mother. The newborn package provided blankets, towels and clean water to a new mother. It is just hard to fathom that our world seems so small at times and yet there are still people without basic human needs being met.


It's amazing how motherhood has changed my frame of mind already. He is my small world.

No comments: