Friday, February 7, 2014

DIY Bowties

I love putting bow ties on my little guy but I hate to pay the high prices listed on Etsy. You know what that means. I was forced to learn how to make them myself. A "little man" shower for a friend was the perfect reason to put my skills to the test.


Things you need:
Fabric
Scissors
Thread
Hot glue gun
Fastner (safety pin, barrette)

What to do:

1. Cut fabric pieces. For each bow, you need a 11x6 piece and a 4x2 piece.


2. Sew your 11x6 piece into a tube by folding it lengthwise inside out and sewing up the long side and one short end. Flip it rightside out and tuck the un-sewn ends inside the tube and sew up the end.


3. Fold the ends into the middle of the bow and glue them down. Make sure the folded piece isn't wider than the other side, if it is, scrunch it down. Let glue dry.

4. Dab a bit of hot glue in the center of the bow and pinch it together from behind. Let the glue dry.

5. Use your little piece for pull it all together. I slightly folded back all the ends of the little piece and then wrapped it around the middle of the bow. Pull it tight so hold your bow in place. Hot glue it in the back and let it dry.



6. Sew or hot glue the clip you chose on the back. I hot glued the clip (like a hair barrette) on the backside. This way a girl could wear it in her hair or a guy on their shirt/onesie.

7. Package them up however you like!



BOOM! Done. I did several in about two hours start to finish.

No comments: