Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Neglect

It's been over a month since I lasted posted. I know I've been neglecting you, but life is busy. A different busy. A hurry up and wait, day in and day out busy. I'm the personal assistant to an extremely busy 2 year old. I hustle and bustle him from one place to another or one appointment to another. I either wait on him during his therapy or join him, depending on what it is. We are currently getting 33 hours a week of ABA, 2 hours a week of speech and 1 hour a week of SOS feeding therapy. This is all on top of 6 hours of mainstream preschool and a 1 hour a week Zumbini class. He has a super full schedule. When I'm not joining him in therapy, I wish I could say that I'm reading a novel or watching a soap opera, but I'm not. I'm busy. I'm calling to verify that he'll get proper accommodations during said Zumbini class. I'm prepping for my next meeting with my therapist (we're doing Beth Moore Bible study together which has .5-1 hr of homework per day give or take). I'm learning to be an autism mom, cleaning up between therapists, giving the dogs attention, scheduling the maintenance guy, managing renovations, prepping snack for his class, charting my food/calorie intake, making dinner, managing meltdowns, and on and on.

I'm not telling you this for pity. I don't want pity. We are all busy. But simply to give you a real life glimpse into what it's like when your child has special needs. I'm so blessed that we're getting our ABA intensive therapy at such a young age! Daredevil is growing by leaps and bounds.... but there are days when I'm appalled at the condition of my home but I can't cancel therapy because my house is a wreck so I have to begrudgingly let these people into my house that looks like toys r us threw up inside and a veggie garden reproduced on my counters. Pre therapy, on those days, I could shut the door and pull the drapes. We could hide away and play the day away. Not anymore. My 2 year old has a full time job. His schedule is tetris. It seems unbelievable, but it all works. But I tell you what, he works his booty off. Some days he just craves quiet, alone time. Some days therapy is fun, some days therapy is hard.

I'm rambling now, basically just to tell you that the neglect hasn't been intentional. A day turns into a week, turns into a month. So here we are.  

This is what we were doing while I was neglecting the blog.


I'll post soon!

No comments: