Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy Baking

This advent, J and I have been focusing on the reason for the season and trying to be more like Jesus. J has helped load a TV in a woman's car, bought juice for little boy who otherwise wouldn't have had any and supplied his whole office with a sweet treat just because. I've been spending time putting others ahead of me by spending extra time listening and caring for those who need it this Christmas, I've been doing small things trying to make the season brighter for those who need it brightened and I've been refocusing the holidays on giving with love -- staying within our established budget but buying and making things that seem just right for those that I love. I give gifts this time of year because God has given me the ultimate gift and I pass that along in my own small way.



One little way we helped out was by creating some holiday baking packs for struggling families. Cooking baking together is such a special gift that many don't get to enjoy in this economy so what more fun that to be given that back. Our life group all pitched in and we gave two baskets full of holiday baking goodies from the cookie sheet to the sprinkles. I hope that these go to families who need a pick me up this year.


I've been reading 25 Days, 26 Ways which is a book on the advent and it has provided some wonderful back stories to the holiday traditions. Knowing the history -- biblical and more recent -- has helped me shape and mold the traditions that we have in our household. I don't think our jingle-a-thon is going anywhere soon but it is fun to see how it has shifted and changed between cultures. What some people view as secular, isn't secular at all. It's putting a whole new spin on things for me.

No comments: