Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gardening 101

Since spring has sprung, even though there are 8 inches of SNOW on the ground, I've begun planning my garden. We have the plot reserved and I am so anxious to get planting. I've been busy learning anything and everything about how to garden and how to (more effectively) compost. We've had a compost bin since we moved to Madison, but I'm not very good at using it consistently or putting in the right combination of items so I'm working on it. I'm very excited to report that my tea bags are compostable! Score!

Anyway, in creating my garden, I've been using the Gardener's Supply Company's garden planner... and I LOVE it! It's easy, helpful and offers tips for each fruit and vegetable that you plant. It even has pre-planned gardens that you can select and go... no extra planning on your part at all. Of those, I like the plan it and forget it garden. 


Since peppers are so expensive, I'll be planting a lot of those. I'm still up in the air about others, but I still have a little while to decide. I also love how the garden planner tells me how much of each vegetable can grow in each plot of land. I just love this thing!

And because I just can't wait until the ground thaws, I started my herb garden last weekend. I planted cilantro, basil, parsley, chives and oregano.



I'm so ready to see sprouts! If you're itching to plan your garden, you can print this garden planner to help you plan your purchases... it's from my friend and fellow blogger at Romantic Hippie.

No comments: