Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mood Board

Ever need some room inspiration but don't really know where to start? Well, have you ever tried making a mood board? Have no idea what I'm talking about? That's OK... I'll show you the ropes.

So, my MIL and FIL are redoing their master bedroom soon. She finally found a bedspread she loves and they've decided that the dark blown flooring will remain in the room. Everything else is up for grabs. I've been trying to help her decide on a color scheme that is both masculine and feminine but is romantic, too. Everyone needs a little romance... I don't care who you are!

Anyway, I started with this bedspread sample she sent me...


Then I logged into my account at OlioBoard. This site lets you create mood boards for free. Its database is stocked with thousands of items currently on the market... I love when I find something that I'd seen at a store recently (think: Pier 1, West Elm, Pottery Barn, etc). You can browse all items or by type or you can search for what you need (yellow curtain, blue pillow, etc) or you can search generally (Pottery Barn, yellow, hutch, etc). It's really up to you and your taste. There is also a community database where you can get ideas from others. It's brilliant, I love it and I use it quite frequently. Hopefully I'll bring my living room mood board to life in my own living room this summer. One can always dream.

I worked on finding items that worked with the bedspread and the flooring. I'd already picked bright white and coral/blush as my accent colors, but I think it looks great. Masculine, feminine, neutral base with pops of color and a mix of muted and distinct pattern.


I personally think that this now screams for some bright sunshine yellow this summer, but I also think it is lovely just the way it is. I can't wait to see what MIL and FIL think and what the final product will actually look like.

No comments: