Monday, July 19, 2010

Sewing 101 -- DIY Dog Bed

Since I've recently taught myself to sew on my new sewing machine, when we got new bedding for our bed I figured I could make a new cover for O's bed cheaper and more efficiently than I could buy one. So, I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought 1 yard of black fleece, 1 yard of a coordinating B&W floral pattern cotton fabric and a 1/4 yard pink polka dot cotton fabric. I also bought some great buttons you'll see later. The total (with my coupons) was around $8. Not bad for a dog bed!

I measured out the fabrics based on the current bed and worked on piecing the pink pieces together. Then I sewed them to the fleece and finally to the floral cotton. I sewed on the buttons last.

I think he likes it. What do you think?


O loves "nesting" in his bed. He paws and stretches and wiggles and scratches until he gets comfortable, then he flops down and passes out. I think I passed the O test.


I had to use some glamorous buttons as the closure on the bed. It was easier than putting in a zipper and I thought they added a little pop of pizazz to the bed.

I love the way it turned out. Whenever O sleeps on it, I get so excited that I made it with love for him to enjoy. It also looks great with our new bedding, if I must say so myself!

Have a great day!

No comments: