Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vegan Zucchini Nut Muffins

One of my favorite memories growing up was baking (and then enjoying) zucchini walnut muffins with my Grandma Betty. I've been searching for the recipe for years and I recently stumbled across "the" recipe. I was able to make it vegan by substituting unsweetened applesauce for the eggs. It was absolutely delicious. You need to try these. Maybe you can remember a sweet childhood memory as you enjoy one.



You'll need:
3 cups of flour, sifted
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 cups of sugar
8 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
1 cup of oil
2 cups of unpeeled, coarsely grated zucchini (I used one straight from my friend's garden)
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of walnuts, chopped



Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. Combine sugar and applesauce in large bowl of electric mixer and beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Gradually add oil in slow, steady stream, beating constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add zucchini and vanilla and blend well. Stir in walnuts. Fold in dry ingredients just until batter is evenly moistened. Do not over-mix.


 Fill 20 paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 350ºF, 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes, then remove muffins from pans to cool. Makes 20 muffins.

Let me tell you, they are amazing! Happy Baking.

No comments: