Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Homemade Black Bean Soup

When I woke from my codeine-induced sleep Monday evening, I was hungry for good, filling, fall food. I wanted something quick and easy with ingredients that I had on hand. Welcome the black bean soup. It fit the bill and it was super quick and easy. 15 minutes from start to table.

Here are the ingredients


Large onion -- diced
Juice from 1/2 lime or lemon
3-4 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
2 tbsp parsley
4 cups water or vegetable broth
3-4 cans of black beans
1 tbsp oil


You start by adding the oil over medium heat and add in the onion. Heat for 4 minutes or so. Then add minced garlic. I used my new hand grater (that I LOVE and use all the time) to get it very fine. You brown all of that together for another 4 minutes.


Then you combine all other ingredients.


Bring to a heavy simmer for at least 10 minutes and serve hot. It was hearty, delicious and just what the doctor ordered. Beware -- the cumin makes it taste and smell a bit like tacos so if anyone is adverse to tacos in your family you may want to leave it out.


No comments: