Saturday, December 24, 2011

Mary and the Night Before Christmas

Someone very special to me said that if Mary had kept a blog, the Christmas story might be a little easier to understand as we followed her journey kind of how they are following ours. That comment really got me thinking about Mary. In addition to that, I've been hearing this song about Mary giving birth. Between the song and the comment, she has consumed my mind this holiday. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my pregnant hormonal state and the impending birth of our firstborn son, but she is on my mind and my heart.

In the thinking of Jesus' birth, in all my years, I've never really considered Mary and Joseph... how they felt, their pain, excitement, anxiousness over meeting their little guy... king or not, he was their little newborn son. He would grow up to save us all but in that moment he was just a newborn.

I love in the song where it talks about Joseph holding her hand and the couple wondering when the child would arrive. I love how God has used others to affect my perspective this holiday. Has He surprised you this Christmas?



Empty manger, perfect stranger, about to be born.
Into darkness, sadness, desperate madness, creation so torn.
We were so lost on earth, no peace, no worth.
no way to escape.
In fear, no faith, no hope, no grace ,and no light
but that was the night before Christmas.
Warm hay, cold sweat, a mother, not yet.
Praying godspeed the dawn.
She looks to her man, holding her hand. They wonder how long.
And the shepherds, wise men come to find them, and bow to a king.
One star above shining on love, so bright it lit up the night before Christmas.

And the world didnt know mercy was meek and so mild.
And the world didnt know that truth was as pure as a child.
The night before Christmas.
The night before Christmas.
And the world didnt know, redemption was sweet and so strong. And the world didnt know salvation was writing a song.
The night before christmas.
The night before christmas.
The night before christmas.
Empty manger, perfect stranger, about to be born.

No comments: