Friday, August 6, 2010

Pupcakes and Icing

I am learning that I love to back so when I saw a recipe for Pupcakes, I HAD to make them for Phin's birthday. I was compelled! I saw it at Cooking Tailz, a cute foodie blog, and couldn't help myself. 


You make the pupcakes in two steps... wet and dry.
For the wet mixture, you need:
1 apple
2 carrots
2 tablespoons honey
2 3/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg (I used 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce)

Preheat oven to 350 F. First, I seeded the apple and peeled the carrots. In food processor puree the apple. I used the puree option on my blender. Shred carrot with hand shredder. In a bowl mix all wet ingredients together and add pureed apple. Mix wet ingredients thoroughly.

For the dry mixture:
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg

Combine dry ingredients.


Add wet ingredients to dry and mix, scraping sides and bottom of the bowl to be sure none of the dry mixture is left. With an ice cream scoop, fill a muffin pan 3/4 full, sprayed with a nonstick spray. Bake for approximately 1 hour. I was a dumb-dumb and I used muffin cups... don't repeat my mistake... no muffin cups, put the mixture straight into the sprayed muffin pan.




Cinnamon Peanut Butter Frosting
In a mixer, combine the following:
16 ounces non-fat cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon honey



Stir the icing. It looked and felt thicker than it was when I actually piped it on the pupcakes.


Before I piped on the icing.


The final result? The boys LOVED them, even with the bits of paper I couldn't get off of there. Their doggie friends loved them, too, and my boys were more than happy to share.

No comments: