Friday, September 24, 2010

OH, CANADA!


We left Stowe, VT, early and headed straight to Niagara Falls. It was an 8.5 hour drive primarily through Vermont and Upstate New York. All in all it was an uneventful drive with each of us taking turns driving and sleeping. Gorgeous drive, though! Driving into Niagara Falls, Canada, we had our first glimpse of the Falls.

 

We left early so that we could have ample time through customs/immigration and so that we would make it in time for a Maid of the Mist boat ride. It's one of those things that you just HAVE to do while you're there.


Anyway,  it was a great way to experience the falls. We got soaked, M especially. I tried to hide when we got really close to the falls. I kept "risking it" by bringing out my camera in the really misty areas but that's where I captured this beautiful rainbow! 


After the Maid of the Mist ride, we walked around their touristy area and ate a late lunch/early dinner. We also did some shopping... gasp, I know. You're so surprised we did some shopping. 

After we'd seen enough of the area we hoofed it back to the car and headed to the hotel. Since we were tired we put on our pj's and watched Letters from Juliet on the laptop. Fantastic, by the way. Well worth the wait. 


Once we were adequately rested, we decided it was time to go see the falls light up in different colors and grab some dessert. I tried to get some good shots of the lit-up falls, but my camera was tired and grumpy and not at all willing to cooperate so it will just have to remain in my memory along with all of the other beautiful things I saw but couldn't capture on film. 

Niagara Falls was beautiful and something I enjoyed seeing. I think I still prefer Gullfoss in Iceland because you can actually climb up right near it (they have a little less safety/security regulations, I guess), and some Swedish gentleman agreed with me in the middle of the boat tour. 

Oh, Canada!

No comments: